BBQ Cheese Straws
Yield: 6 servings.
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon BBQ seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F with racks in upper and lower thirds. Line 2 baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the cheese, flour, butter, salt, and BBQ mix to bowl of food processor and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cream and pulse until a ball forms.
- On a lightly floured work surface roll dough out to about 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut dough with a sharp knife into 1/4-inch wide strips. Transfer to baking sheets, leaving space between them, and bake, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Flipping pans once halfway through cooking time.
- Cool completely on baking sheets.
BYOC: If your friends are the spicy type, try adding a pinch or two of cayenne. If you want to get the kids involved omit the bbq spice and have them paint the straws with egg wash before you bake them and add some sesame seeds or poppy seeds.