Figgy Buns with Hazelnuts and Walnuts
- ½ cup (120ml) dried figs
- Hot water, for rehydrating figs
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 cups (400ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) light brown sugar
- 1 ¾ oz. (50g) fresh yeast
- 2 1/2 cups (600ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) salt
- 1 cup (240ml) walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 cup (240ml) hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Place figs in a bowl with hot water. Let sit for 30 minutes to plump and soften.
- Drain figs and chop.
- Put butter in a bot and heat just to melt.
- Take off heat. Allow to cool a bit.
- Pour in milk. Add sugar. Add yeast and stir to dissolve.
- To a separate bowl, add both kinds of flours and salt. Add nuts and figs and mix together well.
- Pour wet ingredients slowly into dry and stir to combine.
- Turn onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for about 10 minutes.
- Form dough into a ball and let sit in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with a tea towel and let rise until doubled in size.
- Punch dough to release air pockets.
- Cut dough and pull dough apart and form into buns.
- Place buns on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with a damp tea towel and let rise another 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375oF (190oC).
- Bake for 20 minutes in the oven.