Fiery Jerked Chicken Thighs
- 2 tbsp of English mustard
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Zest and Juice of 2 limes
- 4 tbsp runny honey
- 3 habanero, (Scotch bonnet) chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 6 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
- A few sprigs of fresh oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 8 free range chicken thighs, skinned and boned
- A few spritzes of olive oil
- 1 ripe plantain
For the salad
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ a cucumber, peeled, deseeded and half-mooned
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 50g shaved fresh coconut
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- A small bunch of fresh coriander
How to make fiery jerked chicken thighs
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Coat chicken and leave to marinade for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight.
- To make the salad mix the tomatoes, cucumber, shallots and fresh coconut together. In a pestle and mortar pound the red chilli with a pinch of salt. Mix in the lime juice and coconut milk. Toss into the salad and mix in the fresh coriander leaves.
- Heat a griddle on high until almost smoking. Spritz the chicken thighs with the oil then lay on the griddle and grill for 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Slice the plantain on the diagonal and griddle for 3 minutes turning halfway through. Serve the salad on a plate with two chicken thighs and some griddled plantain.