Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 28 minutes
Total: 48 minutes
Yield: about 4 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed chipotle pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 (24-ounce) bottle tomato ketchup
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, chipotle pepper flakes, and ground cumin. Cook the mixture for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and soft.
- Add the brown sugar, ketchup, apple juice, vinegar, and mustard. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Use the sauce immediately or cover and refrigerate, for up to 2 weeks, until ready to use.