Sandwiches are a mainstay on nearly every menu across the country. In this episode, Martha reimagines five classics: roasted chicken club, po’boy, muffuletta, breakfast egg sandwich, and the classic Reuben. Easy to make and portable, they’ll inspire you to make each of them.
- 1 ounce Fontina Fontal cheese
- 2 slices extra-smoky, extra-thick cut bacon
- 1 English muffin, split
- 1 large egg
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place cheese in freezer until well chilled, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat; cook until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.Remove cheese from freezer, cut two slices and grate remaining cheese on the largest holes of a box grater; set aside.
- Place English muffin, split-side down in skillet; cook until toasted. Turn and top both sides with sliced cheese. Reduce heat and cook until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and set aside. Top one half with with bacon.
- Crack egg into bacon fat and season with salt and pepper. Fry egg until the white is set; turn and top egg with grated cheese; continue cooking until yolk has reached desired degree of doneness.
- Carefully place egg on top of bacon and sandwich with remaining muffin half; serve immediately.