Dungeness crab with Clarified Butter and Mediterranean Sauce
- 1 lb (450 g) Dungeness crab, whole
- ½ lb (225 g) unsalted, cold butter
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 6.5 oz Jar of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- ½ cup (120ml) Mayonnaise
- 1 cup (250 ml) Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) Green onion, chopped
- 4 oz (½ cup) Black olives, pitted
- Olive oil
- Prepare clarified butter. Melt cold butter in a saucepan over low heat. Do not move the pot. As the milk solids rise use a spoon to remove them leaving only the golden butter.
- Prepare Mediterranean dip. Add sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, mayonnaise, grated parmesan, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to a food processor, and blitz. Transfer to a bowl. Add green onion, black olives, a sprinkle of pepper, and olive oil. Stir all together.
- Bring water, seasoned with salt, to a boil in a large deep pot.
- Remove cooked crab to a large plate. Cover a surface in newspaper, and break crab apart to extract the meat. You can also serve the crab whole, with mallets and crackers for your guests to use, and the Mediterranean dip and clarified butter in side bowls.