- 250 gm of softened butter
- 150 gm bacon, finely chopped
- 3 Golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 Thyme sprigs
- 1 Fresh bay leaf
- 1 kg duck livers, trimmed
- 60 ml Brandy
- Finely grated rind of half an orange
- 4 pimento berries, finely ground in a mortar and pestle
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) of Pouring cream
- To serve: Sliced crusty white bread
- Pickled Cranberries:
- 160 gm Frozen cranberries, defrosted
- 150 gm Caster sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Red wine vinegar
- Noble late harvest jelly:
- 500 ml Noble late harvest (see note)
- 55 gm (1/4) cup of Caster sugar, or to taste (see note)
- 3 Titanium-strength gelatine leaves, softened in cold water for 5 minutes
- Serve with: pickled cranberries and crusty white bread.
- NOTE: (Tokay is a semi-sweet dessert wine. The sweetness of the wine varies, so taste as you gradually add the sugar to prevent the jelly from being too sweet
2 large eggplants, thinly sliced
4 large green zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways
1 fennel bulb sliced
lemon-infused extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat 50gm butter in a large saucepan over medium- high heat, add bacon, shallot, garlic and herbs and sauté until tender (5-6 min), season to taste and transfer to a food processor (discard thyme and bay). Heat another 100gm butter
- in a pan, add livers and cook without colouring, turning occasionally, until cooked medium (5-6 min).
- Remove livers from pan and transfer to food processor with brandy, orange rind, pimento and remaining butter and process until smooth, then add cream and process to combine. Season to taste, then pass through a fine sieve.
- Transfer to four 250 ml moulds and refrigerate until set (2 – 3 hours).
- Pickled Cranberries:
- Meanwhile, for pickled cranberries, combine cranberries, sugar and vinegar in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, then set aside to cool.
- Tokay jelly: ( is dit tokay jelly of noble late harvest jelly)
- For Tokay jelly, bring wine and sugar to the simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Squeeze water from gelatine and add gelatine to pan, stirring to dissolve.
- Set aside to cool, then spoon over pate, season with pepper and refrigerate until set (2 hours).
3. The Vegetables
- Scatter eggplant with sea salt and layer in a bowl. Stand for 10 minutes, then rinse under cold water and pat dry. Heat a chargrill plate, lightly oil the vegetables and cook eggplant, then zucchini, fennel over high heat for 2 minutes each side or until tender. Roast the tomatoes in the pan until cooked. Combine and cover to keep warm.