Curried Prawn Penne
- 1kg prawns, shelled and de-veined
- 60ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5ml ajwain or carom seeds
- 7ml coarse salt
- 4 cloves of garlic, light crushed
- 15ml red chilli powder
- 2 x 400g tins diced tomatoes
- 5ml roasted ground cumin
- 10ml roasted ground coriander
- Pinch of turmeric
- 80ml fresh cream
- 100ml boiling water, optional
- 500g cooked penne or pasta of your choice
- Fresh coriander, garnish
- Heat a 30cm pot.
- Add the olive oil and heat on medium heat.
- Add the onion and ajwain.
- Add the salt and sauté until the onions are light golden brown.
- Add the lightly crushed garlic and sauté for a few seconds.
- Spoon the red chilli into the pot and stir well.
- Pour the diced tomatoes into the cooked onion and chilli.
- Add the ground cumin, coriander and turmeric and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the cream into the sauce and add the prawns.
- Add the boiling water if necessary.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and once the prawn tails start to curl, add the cooked pasta.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.