Prep time: 19 minutes Total: 19 minutes
Yeild: 4 first-course servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 3 English (seedless) cucumbers, peeled
- 4 ounces smoked salmon (optional)
- Whisk together the olive oil, shallot, lemon juice, mint, dill, and lemon zest in a small bowl; season with the salt, white pepper, and sugar.
- Cut the cucumbers in half crosswise. Using a vegetable peeler, peel long strips to form ribbons, and place the ribbons in a salad bowl. Add the dressing and toss to combine.
- Arrange the cucumber ribbons on four salad plates. If using, tuck slices of salmon in among the ribbons, or drape them loosely over all. Serve immediately.