As variations, use sliced tomato instead of pear, mix a little béchamel sauce or good-quality mayonnaise into the mustard, or use chutney or relish instead of mustard. To make croque madame, fry eggs in butter and serve an egg on top of each sandwich.
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 5 mins
- 8 thick slices sourdough bread
- a little butter, to spread
- 4 tsp seed mustard
- 450g shaved ham
- 300g grated gruyère or tasty cheese
- 1 pear, cored and thinly sliced
- salt and ground black pepper
- Butter bread on one side, then flip so the unbuttered side faces up. Spread with mustard and top with ham, cheese and slices of pear. Season to taste with salt and pepper and sandwich another slice of bread on top, buttered side up. Cook in a preheated frypan over medium heat until bread is golden and crispy and cheese has melted (about 5 minutes).
This recipe is from new TV series Annabel Langbein The Free Range Cook: Through the Seasons. For more great Annabel Langbein recipes see annabel-langbein.com