Creamy Tomato Soup with a Hot and Crispy Vegetable Sandwich
Ingredients for 4 servings
For the sandwiches
- 8 slices of Ciabatta bread
- Dijon mustard to taste
- 1 fresh fennel bulb peeled and sliced
- 2 washed zucchini/baby marrows cut into thick slices
- 2 Portobello mushrooms thickly sliced
- Cheese of your choice
- 2 or 3 table spoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 table spoon of chopped basil
- 10 ripe tomatoes washed and roughly chopped
- 2 chopped red onions
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 table spoons of olive oil
- 200 ml of water
- Thyme and bay leaves to taste
- Fresh herbs (basil etc.)
- Basil pesto
- A pinch of sugar
- 150 ml of crème fraiche
- Personalize the sandwiches according to your taste with a variety of vegetables.
- Substitute the crème fraiche with milk, soya milk or tomato juice.
- Make your tomato soup thicker by adding some mielie meal flour during the cooking.
- The sugar, will balance the acidity of the soup. Honey is a healthy alternative.
First, start with the tomato soup
- In a Tefal pot warm up the olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion and cook gently.
- When softened, add the tomatoes, garlic, herbs and sugar. Season to taste and simmer gently for 30 – 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If the soup is too dry add some water.
- Turn on the Optigrill to manual mode
- Marinate the vegetables with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh herbs, salt and pepper.
- When the Optigrill is ready grill the vegetables, but keep them slightly crunchy and set them aside on a plate. You can also use a griddle pan to cook the vegetables.
- Clean the Optigrill and turn it on to sandwich mode.
- In between two slices of bread, layer the vegetables and slices of cheese (and Dijon mustard).
- Grill the sandwiches until the Optigrill indicator turns yellow and the cheese has melted.
- Blend the tomato soup with a dollop of creme fraiche. Check the seasoning.
- Enjoy the tomato soup and sandwich as a delicious meal.
- Bon appétit!