Creamy Potato and Spinach
Spices can transform any dish into a sensational culinary experience. Yudhika shows you how to add a bit of magic to your favourite veggies dishes with an Indian Vegetarian inspired Menu. She first prepares an Almond Crusted Paneer accompanied by a spicy Mint Chutney then a delicious Cauliflower & Pea curry, Creamy Potatoes with Spinach and these are served with Homemade Puri Bread.
- 500g potatoes, peeled and sliced into wedges
- Sunflower oil, to fry potatoes
- 40ml sunflower oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5ml cumin seeds
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5ml coarse salt
- 10ml crushed ginger and garlic
- 7,5ml red chilli powder
- 100ml boiled water
- 2,5ml ground cumin
- 2,5ml ground coriander
- Pinch of turmeric
- 100ml fresh cream
- 200g baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Heat the sunflower oil in a pan and deep fry the potato wedges in hot oil until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and leave to drain in a sieve.
- Heat 40ml sunflower oil in a pan and fry the cinnamon stick until fragrant.
- Add the cumin seeds and once they splutter, add the chopped onion.
- Season the onion with salt and sauté until light golden brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic, and fry for a few seconds.
- Stir in the red chilli fry for 3 – 5 seconds taking care not to burn the chilli.
- Add the potato wedges and coat in the fried onion.
- Pour the boiled water into the pan, add ground cumin, coriander and turmeric.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens and the potatoes heat through.
- Add the fresh cream and baby spinach leaves.
- Simmer uncovered until the spinach leaves wilt.