PREP TIME: 10min
COOK TIME: 20min
SERVES: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Hot water, if needed
- 12 ounces mascarpone cheese, divided
- Heat the oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and cook briefly to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli, and season with salt and pepper, to taste Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, then cover the pan and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool for about 5 minutes.
- Carefully add the soup to a blender, in small batches, and blend until smooth.
- Pour the puree into a clean large saucepan over low heat.
- Add hot water to thin, if necessary.
- Whisk in all but 1/2 cup of the mascarpone.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, as necessary.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each bowl with a small dollop of mascarpone.