- 2 bags of spinach, ½-pound (225 g) each
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) flour
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml) nutmeg
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Add spinach and boil 10 seconds. Drain spinach and add it to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Once it has cooled, squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Pour out the water the spinach was in. Put the pot back on the heat. Add butter and melt. Add onion and cook until softened. Add flour and whisk to combine. Slowly pour in cream, whisking to mix and get rid of any lumps. Let mixture cook for a few minutes, until it starts to thicken.
- Take it off the heat and stir in spinach. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg.