- Crab Strudel
- 1 lb fresh lump crab or Crabmeat, refrigerated
- 2 whole roasted red peppers, fresh or jarred, seeds removed
- 5 Large basil leafs, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Ricotta
- ½ cup artichoke hearts, chopped (canned or jarred)
- 1 Lemon, juice only
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Package phyllo pastry, chilled
- ½ lb Butter, melted
- 2 Eggs for egg wash
- 5 Tbsp Flour
- Fresh basil (for garnish)
- 2 Litres of vegetable oil for frying
- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 3 whole roasted red peppers, jarred
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Olive oil
- Mix crabmeat, roasted red peppers, basil, ricotta, artichoke hearts, and lemon juice in a bowl. Season and stir to combine
- Melt butter in a pot and prepare egg wash.
- Lay chilled phyllo pastry on a flat surface. Take one sheet and cover the remaining sheets with plastic and a damp towel to keep them from drying out.
- Brush melted butter over pastry. Fold in half and brush with more butter. Scoop 3-4 Tbsp (45-60 ml) filling onto pastry. Roll it up once, fold over the ends.
- Brush the end of the pastry roll with egg wash and sprinkle with flour, then continue to roll until you have rolled all the pastry into a log. Brush more butter over top.
- Place on a flour-covered plate. Repeat until all the crab has been wrapped in phyllo strudels. Cover in plastic wrap and a damp towel and place in the fridge to chill for 10-15 minutes.
- Make roasted red pepper sauce.
- Add garlic, Dijon, honey, and roasted red peppers to a blender. Season and blitz. Drizzle in olive oil gradually until you reach desired consistency.
- You can serve this warm or cold with your strudel. If heating, do so over medium low heat.
- Place oil in a deep pan and heat to 375˚F (190˚C)
- Fry chilled strudel pastry in oil heated to 375˚F (190˚C) for 2-4 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Use a slotted spoon or spider to remove, and place on a paper towel-lined tray to drain. Season lightly with salt.
- Cut strudel in half and plate with red pepper sauce and basil hearts for garnish.