This project brings interest to what could be described as a standard square planter. The wood and corrugated metal sheeting compliment each other. Experiment with different paint techniques. We used a steel wool – vinegar mixture to age the wood.
You will need:
|Cordless Jigsaw||Plywood 18mm|
|POF Router||Back panel 500 x 1000mm – 1 piece|
|18 Volt Cordless drill driver||Bottom panel 500 x 500 mm – 1 piece|
|PSR1080 cordless screwdriver||Front panel 500 x 400 mm – 1 piece grain in long direction|
|Pex sander||Side panels 480 x 400 mm – 2 pieces grain in long direction|
|PWS angle grinder with skinny disc and flap disc||Metal (braai grid – not stainless) 480 x 380mm – 1 piece|
|PFS 200 spray gun||Corrugated roof sheet 1 mtr – 1 piece|
|decking screws 4 x 40mm|
|spray paint for expanded metal – metallic grey or similar – 1 tin|
|1 bottle brown vinegar|
|1 packet fine steel wool|
|waterproof wood glue|
|plastic drop sheet to line plant holder – 1 piece|
|polystyrene pieces to fill excess space in pot holder|
|potting soil – 2 bags|
|1 x plant to put in planter|
|small pots to hang on expanded metal – Annalien project|
Follow these steps
Prepare tea bag stain first – Simply place steel wool in a container and soak in white vinegar (at least 10hours). Soak tea bag in a container filled with water. Once the project is completed, you will paint the wood with the tea, followed by the steel wool – vinegar mixture.
- Mark out where the bottom, sides and backing join together
- Drill pilot holes
- Cut out holes for corrugated iron
- Router recess for metal inlay
- Router the outer edges round
- Assemble pot and backing
- Cut out and attach feet
- Drill holes for drainage in the bottom of the planter
- Sand and varnish
- Cut roof sheet to size using metal scissors or grinder, and install.
- Cut plastic and tack into the planter box. This is to keep the soil in place.
- Install metal mesh onto backing board using screws (and spacers)
- Fill pot holder with polystyrene to save on potting soil (plants only use the top 15-30cm).
- Add some potting soil
- Add in plant and fill the rest with soil
Download the PDF layout