Corn and chilli fritters with biltong shavings and pink peppercorns
- 1 tin mielie kernels, not creamed (discard the liquid), or the kernels of 2 boiled mielies
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 red chilli, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- 2 eggs
- salt, pepper to taste
- 200g beef biltong, sliced
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- pink peppercorns
- 2 cups sunflower oil, for frying
- 1 small bunch chives
- 2 sprigs purple basil (use green basil if purple is not available)
- Mix the mielies, flour, chilli, coriander, eggs and salt & pepper in a bowl. Shape into small round little flat fritters and coat with flour.
- Deep fry on both sides until they are golden brown-about 5 minutes.
- Set aside on paper kitchen towel.
- To assemble, mash the avocado and add some parsley and lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Put some avo onto the fritter and top with about 2 slices of biltong strips and drizzle some pink peppercorns on top.
- Garnish with long chives, basil and cracked black pepper.