Cobble Topped Blackberries
PREP TIME: 10
COOK TIME: 30
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon self-rising flour, plus 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus 1 cup
- 2/3 cup white stone-ground cornmeal
- Pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the blackberries, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon of flour in a mixing bowl. Allow it to sit until the berries begin to soften and juices flow, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease 6 (8-ounce) ramekins using 2 tablespoons butter and arrange them on a baking sheet.
- Divide the berries among the ramekins.
- Cut 1 cup of butter into cubes and freeze.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, remaining 1/2 cup of flour, the cornmeal and the salt. Cut in the butter with a fork to make a pea-like texture and sprinkle it on top of the berries in the ramekins.
- Bake until the berries bubble and the topping is baked to a light golden colour, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.