Classic Oyster Stew
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of vermouth
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 24 freshly shucked oysters, with all their juices
- 1 bunch of freshly minced tarragon
- a few grinds of pepper
- In a medium saucepan, sauté the shallots and garlic in the butter until softened and lightly coloured, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and salt, stirring constantly to make a thickening roux, about 2 minutes.
- Splash in the vermouth and cream and simmer as they thicken, 2 or 3 minutes more.
- Gently stir in the oysters, their liquor and the fresh tarragon and just barely heat the works through, just a few minutes more.
- Top with fresh pepper, ladle into bowls and share immediately!