Yield: 8 or more servings
- 5 lbs hard shell Little Neck clams, rinsed well to remove sand, in mesh bag
- 5 lbs mussels, well rinsed, in mesh bag
- 8 cobs of corn, husks removed, cut in half
- 8 of your favourite sausages, Italian fennel, Oktoberfest, Apple wood smoked, your call…
- 3 lbs baby red potatoes or larger potatoes cut into smaller pieces
- 8 live lobsters, rubber bands removed from claws
- Find a very large (25 quart) pot with a tight fitting lid or 2 smaller versions if need be.
- Build layers of ingredients with the longer cooking times near the bottom.
- Begin with the potatoes and sausages.
- Lay in the bags of mussels and clams, corn cobs, and finally the lobsters.
- Finish by pouring in 4 cups of water or a full bottle of wine or 2 or 3 beer…
- Meanwhile ignite a huge roaring drift wood fire.
- Enjoy and tend the fire as it blazes and burns down.
- When you have a very thick bed of large hot coals you’re ready to cook.
- Fashion a grill, large enough to accommodate the clam pot, over the fire and then place the pot over it. 4’ long sections of metal construction rebar work very well! Bank the coals directly under the pot and bring the works to the simmer.
- Steam for 30 to 60 minutes, depending on how hot your coals are.
- Your feast is done when the lobsters are bright red, the clams and mussels have opened, the corn and potatoes are tender and the sausages are cooked through.