Easy, Moderate, Complex
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 27 minutes
Inactive Prep time:
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 packet of good quality spaghetti (450 g)
- FOR THE BOLOGNESE:
- 1/4 cup of olive oil (60 ml)
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs of thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (5 ml)
- 2 cups veal stock (500 ml)
- 1 lb of medium fat ground beef (450 g)
- 1/2 lb of ground veal (225 g)
- 1/2 lb of ground pork (225 g)
- 1 1/2 cup of milk (375 ml)
- 1 1/2 cup tomato paste (375 ml)
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into cubes (125 ml)
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped (60 ml)
- 1/4 cup basil, finely chopped (60 ml)
- Salt, pepper
- FOR THE GARNISH:
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese (125 ml)
- For the Bolognese: Heat oil in a large pan and sauté the onions and carrots until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and chili flakes. Sautéfor 2 more minutes. Add 1/2 cup (125 ml) of veal stock into the vegetable mixture.
- Slowly add ground beef, veal and pork, stirring and adding more veal stock when necessary to keep the meat moist. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add milk and stir. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes or until half of the liquid has evaporated. Add tomato paste, remaining veal stock and continue cooking until desired thickness. Adjust seasoning.
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water, about 8 minutes. Drain and mix with butter then add the sauce, chive and basil. Mix well.
- For Serving: Pasta, Bolognese and garnish with grated Pecorino cheese.