Yield: 4 servings, plus snacks!
- 1 1/2 cup Stout beer (375 ml)
- 1/2 cup 35% cream (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar (130 g)
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips (280 g)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon real vanilla extract (10 ml)
- 4 cups French bread with crust, cut into 1-inch cubes (300 g)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Bring Stout, cream, and 1/2 cup sugar, to simmer in a medium saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup chocolate chips and whisk until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk eggs and vanilla in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in cooled chocolate mixture.
- Add bread cubes and remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips to custard and toss to coat. Transfer to 1 1/2-quart-capacity shallow round (1.4 L), square or oval baking dish that you have pre-greased with butter or oil. The batter will come close to the top of the pan. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over top.
- Bake until custard thickens and center is just set, about 50 – 60 minutes.
- Serve warm, cut a circle using a round biscuit cutter. Garnish with partially whipped 35% cream, lightly sweetened with sugar.