Chocolate Croissant Bread and butter Pudding
Chocolate croissant bread and butter pudding with chocolate sauce
- 25g (1 oz) butter, at room temperature
- 6 croissants (can be a day old)
- 100g (4 oz) dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa), chopped
- 100g (4 oz) white chocolate, (if desired or just double the dark chocolate) chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 150g (5 oz) caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 600ml (1 pt / 2 cups) cream
- 150ml (5 fl oz / ½ cup) whole milk
- 150g (5 oz) soft light brown sugar
- 250ml (9 fl oz) cream
- 100g (4 oz) dark chocolate (At least 70% cocoa)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (Gas Mark 4 / 350F). Butter a 33 x 23cm (6cm deep) (12 x 9in (2 ½ in deep)) baking dish (about 5 pts (3L) in volume) and set on a baking sheet.
- Tear the croissants up roughly, arrange half of them in the baking dish and scatter half the chopped dark and white chocolate over. Make a second layer with the remaining croissant pieces and top with the remaining chocolate.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, cream and milk together in a large bowl or jug until well combined. Carefully pour this mixture over the croissants and chocolate and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly on top. Leave to soak for about 10 minutes and then bake for about 45-50 minutes until it is just firm to the touch.
- In the meantime, prepare the chocolate sauce. Place the cream in a medium saucepan and bring slowly to a boil. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and stir until melted.
- Remove the pudding from the oven and leave to sit for a few minutes before serving with the chocolate sauce.