The addition of smoked chilli and spices into this chocolate bar is subtle but utterly addictive. It makes a wonderful finish to a meal, accompanied by hot chocolate or coffee.
Prep time 15 mins + setting
Cook time 5 mins
- 1 tsp very finely chopped dried smoked chilli
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp fine black pepper
- 500g dark chocolate (at least 60 percent cocoa solids), coarsely chopped
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped dried cranberries
- 1 cup coarsely chopped unsalted roasted cashews
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pistachios, plus extra to sprinkle
- Place the chilli, cloves, five-spice, cinnamon and black pepper in a heavy frypan and toast over medium heat until they just start to smell fragrant (about 30 seconds). Don’t overheat or they will burn.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper for easy clean-up. Gently melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, or in a large bowl over a pot of boiling water. Remove from heat and stir in toasted spice mix and dried fruit and nuts, reserving about ½ cup pistachios. Spread evenly on the prepared tray, sprinkle with extra pistachios and leave in a cool place until set (about 45 minutes). Break or chop into chunks. Store in a sealed container in a cool place for up to a month.
View a video of Annabel making this recipe in her new TV series Annabel Langbein The Free Range Cook: Through the Seasons at annabel-langbein.com