Chicory, Blue Cheese, Pecan and Cranberry Salad
- 225 g (8 oz) Cashel Blue cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 head chicory
- a selection of salad leaves
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries, chopped very roughly
- 12 pecans
- 3 tbsp hazelnut or walnut oil
- 11⁄2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and black pepper to season
- Step 1
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing together in a jam jar.
- Toast the pecans on a baking tray at 180°C/350°F/gas 4 for 5–10 minutes — don’t leave them as they burn easily.
- When cool, chop or crumble them roughly.
- Trim the chicory and separate the leaves.
- Combine the cheese, nuts and cranberries in a bowl and toss with a little dressing.
- Step 2
- To assemble salad, choose a good mix of small salad leaves.
- Add some chicory and dressing.
- Add the cheese, nuts and cranberries.
For canapés, the cheese, nut and cranberry mixture can be sparingly spooned into the small chicory leaves.