- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 25g ghee (butter can be used)
- 4 onions , roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp chicken tikka masala paste ( ready made can be used or make your own – see below for recipe)
- 2 red peppers , cut into chunky pieces and deseed
- 9 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 2 x 400g canned tomatoes
- 1-2 packets of tomato purée
- 3 tbsp mango chutney
- 150ml cream
- 150ml yogurt
- chopped coriander leaves, to garnish
Tikka masala paste
- In a food processor, whizz 5 garlic cloves, 1 large knob of root ginger, 1- 2 red chilli, deseeded, 2 tsp each ground cumin, 2tsp coriander, 1 tsp each of turmeric, paprika and garam masala, and the seeds from 4 cardamom pods. Add a little water or vegetable oil to bring the paste together.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a pot, then add the onions and a pinch of salt, let this cook for 15-20 minutes until the onions are soft and golden. Add the tikka masala paste and peppers, and then cook for further 5 minutes for the spices to blend in.
- Add the chicken and stir well coating in the paste. Cook for 2 minutes or so, and then pour in the tomatoes, purée and 200ml water. Cover with a lid and gently simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the lid, stir through the mango chutney, cream and yogurt, and then gently warm through. Scatter the rest with coriander leaves could be serve with basmati rice.
- Heat the ghee in a pot about 25ml, add 2cups of rice and coat the ghee in.
- Add double amount of water in respect to the rice, 4 cups of boiling water, constantly stir and watch the rice to ensure that it is cooked to perfection.