- 15ml flour
- 10ml each ground coriander, cumin, ginger
- 5ml each ground cinnamon, turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2ml chilli powder
- 1kg chicken thigh fillets, sinew trimmed, halved
- 45ml olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 375ml chicken stock
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp sugar
- 400g can of chickpeas, drained
- 125ml pitted dates
- 60ml chopped fresh coriander
- 125ml blanched almonds
- Cooked couscous, to serve
- Combine flour and spices in a bowl. Toss chicken in spice mixture.
- Heat 15ml oil in a heavy-based pan over medium heat.
- Add chicken and fry in batches for 1 minute each side until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Add remaining oil to pan with onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and any remaining spice mixture. Return chicken to pan.
- Add stock, tomatoes, bay leaves and sugar.
- Simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and dates, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in coriander and almonds; serve with couscous.