Chicken Flattie with Cream Cheese Stuffing
Apart from the excellent flavour the cheese offers, it keeps the chicken breast really moist. Ring the changes by using different flavours of cream cheese. I like to use the 100 g logs of goat’s milk cream cheese flavoured with pepper, herbs or a Cajun mix and find one log is just enough for one chicken.
- Gas Braai
- Kettle Braai Indirect and Direct
- 1 large fresh chicken, spatchcocked
- 1 x 100 g log cream cheese
- 6 marinated sun-dried tomatoes, drained and quartered olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- If you need to spatchcock the chicken yourself, place it on a board, breast side down.
- Using a sharp knife or kitchen scissors, cut along one side of the backbone. Turn the chicken and cut along the other side of the backbone.
- Remove the backbone and place the chicken breast side up. Using the palm of your hand, press down firmly on the breast to flatten the chicken.
- Using your fingers, very gently separate the skin from the breast without breaking the skin.
- Slice the cream cheese and gently slide it under the skin of the chicken, alternating with the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Brush the chicken with oil and season generously before cooking it, breast side up,
- on a hot fire for 30 minutes. Turn over the chicken very carefully and cook for a further
- 20–30 minutes until crisp and golden brown.