Cheesy Potato Pie
Yield: 4 – 6 servings
- 7-8 Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 cups 35% whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sprinkled sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 oz. grated gruyere cheese, or medium cheddar
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Place a 12” cast iron skillet or other large deep heavy sauté pan in the oven to preheat.
- Lightly oil a towel or folded paper towel with vegetable oil and evenly rub the hot pan, lightly coating it with oil just before using.
- You may also use a standard baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Meanwhile grate the potatoes into a large saucepan, large enough to hold them and the cream.
- Add the cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- This preheating step dramatically speeds up the oven time and evenly heats the potatoes.
- Stir in the cheese and then pour into the preheated pan.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, until the pie has a deep golden brown crust.
- Loosen edges with a paring knife and Invert onto a serving platter while still warm.
- Cut into slices and serve with a flourish!