Cheesy Beany Burgers
- 1 (18oz.) can lima beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups (360ml) baby spinach
- Boiled water, for wilting
- 2 leeks, cleaned and sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup (80ml) basil, chopped
- 1 cup (240ml) whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2.5 oz. (75g) Emmental cheese, grated
- Olive oil, for frying
- Add lima beans to a bowl and mash with a fork. Set bowl aside.
- Place spinach in a colander and pour boiled water over to wilt. Let it drain, pressing to get rid of excess water.
- Chop spinach up roughly and add to bowl with mashed beans.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Put leeks in skillet and cook until soft.
- Scrape leeks into bowl with mashed beans and spinach.
- Stir to combine.
- Add chopped basil and breadcrumbs.
- Crack egg into a small bowl and whisk. Pour into bowl with beans. Mix well.
- Add grated cheese to bowl and stir to combine.
- Form burger patties with hands.
- Heat olive oil in skillet and add patties, making sure they are not crowded in the pan.
- Fry until golden brown, and flip to fry other side.