Chuck Hughes’ awesome cheddar biscuits are a taste bud pleasing substitute for dinner rolls.
Easy, Moderate, Complex
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Inactive Prep time:
Yields : 12 to 15 biscuits (depending on size)
- 3 1/2 cup flour (875 ml)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (15 ml)
- 2 teaspoons cayenne (10 ml)
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar (500 ml)
- 2/3 cups cold butter (160 ml), cubed
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk (430 ml)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 ˚F (230 ˚C).
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Add butter to flour mixture and crumble together until mixture resembles coarse corn meal. Add the grated cheese and give it a good mix.
- Add in buttermilk and stir only until combined. Do not stir too much or it will make the biscuits too tough.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten dough by hand or by rolling pin until about 1/2 inch thick – cut with 3″ cutter. Keep reforming the dough (don’t overwork) until it is all used.
- Place on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until nicely golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and brush them with melted butter. Keep warm.