Charred Polenta with Roasted Peppers and Parmesan
‘Polenta’ is the Italian word for corn meal and comes in a rich yellow colour. We know it as mealie meal in South Africa. This recipe can be made with either polenta or mealie meal.
KETTLE BRAAI DIRECT WOOD OR CHARCOAL FIRE
- 200 g polenta
- 60 ml (4 Tbsp) butter
- 125 ml (1⁄2 cup) grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra Parmesan shavings salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 red and 1 green pepper, halved and cored coarse salt
- Make the polenta according to the package instructions. remove from the heat and beat in the butter and cheese with a wooden spoon. Season generously. Pour into a 23 cm round cake pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and refrigerate for 20–30 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator, turn out of the pan and, using a sharp knife, cut into wedges. Brush with olive oil.
- Prepare the peppers and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Spray the braai grid with non-stick cooking spray and place the peppers skin side down on the grid.
- Cook for 10–15 minutes, turning halfway. Halfway through the cooking time of the peppers, place the polenta wedges on the grid and cook for 3–4 minutes per side, pressing down on the polenta with an egg lifter. Serve the polenta with slices of roasted pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, black pepper and shavings of Parmesan cheese.