Cashew Nut Chicken
This delicious salad is packed full of goodness. It can be served simple and rustic, or for a more formal occasion you can spoon the mango salsa into 10cm (4in) chef’s rings set on plates. Arrange the crispy cashew nut chicken in the middle and garnish with a small mound of dressed baby salad leaves. Remove the chef’s rings to serve.
- 100g (4oz) panko
- (dried toasted breadcrumbs)
- 75g (3oz) toasted cashew nuts
- 25g (1oz) toasted coconut flakes
- 50g (2oz) plain flour
- 1 egg
- 50ml (2fl oz) milk
- 2 x 200g (7oz) chicken fillets, sliced lengthways
- about 1 tsp olive oil spray
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 2 baby Cos lettuces
- 1 small head of radicchio lettuce alfalfa sprouts, to garnish
- MANGO SALSA:
- 1 firm, ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced juice of ½ lime
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas mark 4). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the panko, cashew nuts and coconut flakes in a food processor with a pinch of salt. Blend for 2–3 minutes, then tip into a shallow dish.
- Place the flour in a dish and season with salt and pepper. Whisk the egg and milk together in a separate dish. Dust each slice of chicken in the seasoned flour, then dip into the egg wash and coat in the cashew nut crumbs.
- Place the coated chicken strips on the lined baking sheet and spray lightly with the olive oil. Place in the oven for
- 15–20 minutes, until cooked through and golden.
- Meanwhile, to make the mango salsa, mix the mango with the red onion, lime juice, rapeseed oil and coriander, then season to taste and set aside at room temperature.
- Break the woody stems off the asparagus and cut each one on the diagonal into two or three pieces, depending on their size. Blanch in a pan of boiling salted water for
- 2–3 minutes, until just tender but still with a little bite. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Trim down the Cos lettuces and radicchio, then break into separate leaves and put in a large bowl with the blanched asparagus. Arrange in shallow bowls and place the cashew nut chicken strips on top. Spoon around the mango salsa and add the alfalfa sprouts to garnish.