Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup (120ml) light cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon (3ml) vanilla extract
- Add cream cheese to a bowl. Beat until smooth. Add maple syrup and vanilla extract and beat to incorporate.
- Use to frost carrot cake (see recipe).
2 cups (480ml) whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons (10ml) baking powder
½ teaspoon (3ml) baking soda
1 ½ teaspoon (8ml) ground cinnamon
¾ teaspoon (4ml) nutmeg, grated
½ teaspoon (3ml) salt
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons (30ml) canola oil
1 tablespoon (15ml) vanilla extract
½ cup (120ml) milk
1 cup (240ml) applesauce
¼ cup (60ml) brown sugar
3 cups (720ml) freshly grated carrots
Preheat oven to 350oF (180oC).
Pour flour into a large bowl. Add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and mix well.
In a separate bowl, crack eggs and whisk. Pour in oil, vanilla, milk, applesauce, and brown sugar and stir.
Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix to combine.
Add carrots into batter and mix well to incorporate.
Pour into springform pan lined with parchment paper.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden.
Frost with cream cheese icing (see recipe).