Bright orange in colour this is an unusual combination that really works.
The sweetness of the carrot and orange is offset by the saltiness of the olives.
- 500 g carrots, washed
- 6 oranges, peeled and sliced horizontally
- 250 ml (1 cup) mixed olives.
- 75 ml (5 Tbsp) olive oil
- 25 ml (5 tsp) white wine vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) paprika
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) curry paste
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- pinch chilli powder, or more to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- juice and zest of 1 large orange
- Start off with the dressing by combining all the ingredients in a glass screwtop jar.
- Shake well to mix.
- Peel the carrots and, using a vegetable peeler, slice down the carrot to create ribbons.
- Combine the carrot ribbons and orange slices on a large serving platter (it looks good on white) and top with the olives.
- Shake the dressing well and pour over the salad. Leave to stand for at least 30 minutes before serving to absorb the flavours.