A Simple and elegant dessert, Chuck Hughes’ caramelized pears are sure to please any crowd
Easy, Moderate, Complex
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup butter (60 ml)
- 4 medium-sized red and yellow Bartlett pears, pitted and quartered
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (125 ml)
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon (30 ml) (Optional)
- Good quality ice cream to garnish
- 4 graham crackers, crumbled
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Melt the butter and then add the pears, cut-side down, cooking until they are slightly golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the brown sugar and continue cooking until caramelized, another 5 minutes. Add the Bourbon and continue for 5 more minutes.
- When serving, garnish with a scoop of ice cream, a drizzle of the caramel sauce and crumbled graham crackers .
Note: Depending on the season, pears can be replaced by peaches, nectarines, apricots or plums.