Yield: approximately 1 cup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup 35% whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Pour the water into a saucepan then pour the sugar in a pile in the middle of the water.
- Turn the heat to medium-high heat and begin cooking without stirring. The sugar will dissolve in the water and begin to boil. The water will evaporate, leaving behind a pure sugar syrup that will then begin to rise in temperature, past the boiling point of water, and into the flavour zone.
- When the sugar begins to lightly brown here and there, gently swirl the pan until all of the sugar is a deep golden brown.
- Carefully pour in the cream and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Cool until thickened or serve hot!