Cabernet Mashed Potatoes
Yield: 4 – 6 servings
- 1 x 750 ml bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 cup 35% whipping cream
- 1 stick butter (8 tablespoons, 4 ounces or 1/2 cup)
- 6 large baking potatoes, or Yukon Gold, peeled and washed
- Sprinkled sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pour the wine into a large saucepan and reduce over medium-high heat until it is like syrup and only one half of a cup or so remains.
- Whisk in cream and butter and continue to whisk until butter has melted.
- Meanwhile cut the potatoes into quarters and steam in a stove top steamer until they are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain and place hot potatoes back into the pot.
- Pour the wine mixture over steamed potatoes and mash well.
- Season with salt and pepper and add extra butter, cream or milk if the potatoes seem dry.