EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy, Moderate, Complex
- 2 sticks butter (16 tablespoons, 8 ounces or 1 cup)
- Melt half the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- It will begin to foam as the water in the butter evaporates.
- Gently swirl the pot, letting the foam settle.
- Continue to heat over low heat until it foams a second time and begins to brown.
- Watch it carefully allowing the solids on the bottom to turn a deep golden brown.
- Immediately pour into a bowl to cool and prevent further browning.
- Cool to room temperature, this will take several hours or even overnight.
- Place the other half of the butter into a stand-up mixer and whip it together with the cooled brown butter.
- Make sure to include the brown sediment that settles to the bottom of the brown butter.
- Scoop into a small bowl.
- Serve with freshly baked bread for one of the all time great flavour treats!
Yield: ½ cup