PREP TIME: 5
COOK TIME: 30
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup raw agave syrup or honey
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups self-rising flour
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper muffin liners. Peel the bananas and add to a large bowl.
- Add the agave syrup and mash the bananas with a fork until very liquefied but still a little lumpy.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan or skillet over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the milk solids have turned a nutty golden brown.
- To the brown butter, add about 1 cup of the mashed banana mixture and whisk to combine.
- Cook for a few more minutes until a darker golden colour is achieved. Add to the remaining mashed banana mixture and whisk to combine, then whisk in the egg.
- Fold in the flour, in 2 batches, with a rubber spatula, until just combined; do not over mix.
- With an ice cream scoop, evenly divide the batter among the muffin tin cups.
- Bake in the centre of the oven until golden brown and the tops spring back when pressed, about 25 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, and then transfer the muffins to a rack to cool completely. Serve warm or at room temperature.