Broccoli with Garlic, Lemon and Parmesan
I love this way of cooking broccoli. I sometimes add 1 red deseeded chilli into this aswell. If there is any of this broccoli left over it can be served at room temperature the next day.
- 1 medium or 2 small heads of broccoli or 750g (1 1/2lbs) sprouting broccoli
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely grated
- finely grated zest of 1 small lemon
- sea salt and pepper
- 50g (2ozs) grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Peel the stems of the broccoli with a peeler to remove the tough outer parts and cut the florets into long thin stalks .
- If the florets are large, divide them in half lengthwise.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water (1 teaspoon salt) to the boil, add the broccoli and cook on a high heat with the lid off for about 5-6 minutes until it is cooked.
- Drain the broccoli and set aside.
- In a frying pan on a high heat, place the olive oil, add the garlic and cook for a minute till pale golden, then add the broccoli, lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a warm serving bowl, sprinkle with the grated parmesan and serve.