Braised Pork Belly
Yield: 8 or more servings
- 1 whole pork belly, ask your butcher to remove the rind
- 8 cups apple cider, orange juice or chicken broth
- 1 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons ground caraway seeds or any other herb or spice
- Sprinkled sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grainy mustard
- Preheat your oven to 250°.
- Put pork belly into a large roasting pan and add cider, maple syrup, caraway seed, mustard, salt and pepper and toss it a bit to coat evenly.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid or make one out of foil.
- Place in oven and braise until tender, about 8 hours or overnight.
- You may prepare the pork belly to this point several days in advance. If you do, simply leave the meat in the braising liquid and refrigerate together until you are ready to proceed.
- Take pork belly out of braising liquid.
- Cut it into large square chunks and place them on a baking sheet.
- Some of the chunks will need a slight bit of trimming to remove the thicker pieces of fat. Roast until heated through and crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Enjoy one of the most decadent treats you will ever eat!