This is cake has no butter, so even with lots of lovely whipped cream it still seems so light.
- 3 eggs
- 90ml (3fl.oz) water
- 225g (8oz) sugar
- 140g (5oz) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250ml (8fl.oz) whipped cream
- 85g (3oz) fresh fruit, like sliced strawberries, or raspberries
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180c/375f
- Separate the eggs.
- Beat the yolks and sugar for 2 min, blend in water.
- Whisk until firm and creamy, 10 minutes approx.
- Fold in sifted flour and baking powder.
- Beat the egg whites until they hold a stiff peak.
- Fold them in very gently.
- Bake in two greased and floured 20cm (8in) sandwich tins for 20 min approx.
- Cool on a wire rack and fill with whipped cream and fresh fruit and sift icing sugar on top before serving.
**NOTE I have made this before , with just one 20cm spring form tin , cook it at 180’c for about 35 minutes , or until the centre feels firm to the touch; I also put a sheet of tin foil on top of the cake and turned it down to 170’c after 20 minutes.