Beany Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups (480ml) dry rigatoni, whole wheat
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) mustard seed
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) flour
- 2 ½ cups (600ml) milk
- 1 cup (240ml) canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (240ml) soft Muenster cheese, cut into pieces
- 1 cup (240ml) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup (120ml) gruyere cheese, grated
- Extra gruyere, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350oF (180oC).
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Put butter in a pot and heat to melt. Add garlic and mustard seed.
- Stir in flour to combine. Cook for a few minutes, stirring.
- Add milk slowly, stirring to combine. Cook on low to thicken.
- Pour drained and rinsed beans into a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add mashed beans to pot and stir to combine.
- Mix in cheese and stir until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked pasta to pot and mix until pasta is covered.
- Pour pasta into a baking dish and top with extra gruyere.
- Back 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and starting to brown.