Basil Pesto Stuffed Chicken
Serve either hot or cold
- 1 chicken, spatch-cocked
- 250ml chicken stock
- 375ml basil leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 180ml grated parmesan cheese
- 50g pine nuts
- 125ml olive oil
- Put the basil and garlic into the bowl of a food processor and roughly chop.
- Add the cheese and pine nuts and pulse again. Then with the machine running slowly add in the olive oil. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Scrape it into a bowl.
- Slip your fingers under the skin of the chicken and loosen it gently without tearing it. Work half the pesto mixture under the chicken skin. Rub the chicken with any remaining pesto.
- Place the chicken into a roasting pan, add half the stock to the pan and roast at 180C for 45-60 minutes until it is cooked.
- Baste with pan juices from time to time. Top up the pan juices with the stock if it gets dry (use this to make a gravy with a little cornflour slaked with water).
- Remove from the oven and put the chicken onto the carving board, cover with foil.
- Carve and serve either hot or cold