Basic Bread Dough
- 4x 250ml flour
- 5ml salt
- 10g instant yeast
- 15ml sugar
- 45ml olive oil
- 300-400ml lukewarn water
- Combine the flour, salt, yeast and sugar in a bowl. Add oil and enough water to mix to a dough that is soft but not sticky.
- Knead well until the dough is smooth and elastic. This can be done with the help of a dough hook in an electric mixer or by hand.
- Place the dough into an oiled plastic bag or bowl and leave to rise until double in size. Remove dough from the bag and place on a lightly floured surface, knead lightly. Shape as required and cover with the same plastic bag used to rise the dough in.
- Allow to rise for another 20-30 minutes.
- Bake at 200°° C for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Note: For a sweet dough add 60ml castor sugar to the dry ingredients. Omit the olive oil and instead use 50g melted butter and use warm buttermilk instead of water and add 1 egg to the liquid ingredients.