Baklava fans drizzled with honey and cinnamon, served with vanilla ice cream
- 20 sheets phyllo pastry
- 250g melted unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 180g pecan nuts, crushed
- 100g castor sugar
- 100g honey
- Preheat the oven to 200’C
- Open the phyllo pastry onto a smooth, dry surface covering the sheets with a damp cloth to keep them moist as the pastry dries out quickly and becomes unmanageable.
- Cut the pastry into squares about 20 x 20cm long and brush them with the melted butter.
- Drizzle cinnamon and castor mixture onto the pastry, as well as some crushed nuts, and then gently fan the pastry towards 1 side making the shape of a small fan.
- Place the fans onto a flat baking sheet and bake them in a hot oven 200’C for approx 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Set aside.
- When the fans are cold, drizzle honey and ground cinnamon over them.
- To serve, place the baklava on a plate and add a ball of gorgeous store bought vanilla ice cream and drizzle some more sticky honey over the ice cream for delicious effect.