Ask Aida is an interactivity series spotlighting cooking expert Aida Mollenkamp, who answers viewers’ questions submitted via video, e-mail and text formats by whipping up appealing dishes that highlight a particular theme or ingredient.
This week: Episode 13
Aida updates her favorite Southern dishes by making them lighter and more flavorful. Get ready to sink your forks into Pork Tenderloin With Apple Cider Reduction, Roasted Sweet Potates With Pecans and Spiced Maple Butter and Quick-Braised Collard Greens With Bacon and Sweet Onions.
- Double Apple Sidecar
- Pork Tenderloin with Apple Cider Reduction
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Pecans and Spiced Maple Sauce
- Quick-Braised Greens with Bacon and Sweet Onions
Aida prepares two party-pleasing dips that can then be transformed into main dishes. Cucumber-Dill Yogurt Dip is perfect for crudite, and can also be used as a marinade for Grilled Lamb Kebabs. Spinach-Ricotta Dip is delicious with cut pita wedges, and when transformed into Spinach-Ricotta Pesto Pasta With Crisp Prosciutto and Asparagus, it becomes a fast and simple weeknight dinner.
- Cucumber-Dill Marinade with Grilled Lamb Kebabs and Cucumber-Dill Yogurt Dip
- Pistachio-Currant Couscous
- Spinach-Ricotta Dip
- Spinach-Ricotta Pesto Pasta with Crisp Prosciutto and Asparagus
Lasagna is one of the most beloved Italian dishes and Aida shares two of her favorite recipes. First, her family’s Sweet Sausage and Three Cheese Lasagna. Then a unique Pesto Lasagna that everyone will love.
It’s the most asked question on Ask Aida — how to jazz up chicken? Aida’s got some simple and flavourful answers, including Pan Roasted Chicken With Oranges and Rosemary, and Roasted Garam Masala Chicken With Squash and Potatoes. On the side, an incredibly healthy and versatile dish: Cucumber-Bell Pepper Quinoa.
- Garam Masala Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
- Pan-Roasted Chicken with Oranges and Rosemary
- Cucumber-Bell Pepper Quinoa
Here are some recipes to wake up to! Aida shakes up breakfast with Cardamom-Orange French Toast, with Honeyed Strawberries. And the perfect pancakes every time with Aida’s Cakey Buttermilk Pancakes that she likes to serve with Blackberry Syrup.
- Cardamom-Orange French Toast with Honeyed Strawberries
- Cakey Buttermilk Pancakes with Blueberry MapleSyrup
Save a trip to the restaurant by preparing Aida’s easy and delicious, spicy Mexican-inspired dishes. The menu includes Quesadillas With Jack and Spicy Saute, Roast Pork Loin With Sour Citrus Sauce and Cilantro Rice.
Pasta is an easy go-to weeknight meal, and Aida shows us three innovative twists on classic pasta dishes. Sage Butter Macaroni and Four Cheese is a decadent and delicious take on mac and cheese. Pasta With Citrus-Herb Sauce is a light tangle of thin spaghetti and fresh herbs. Then it’s a crowd pleaser — Rigatoni With Creamy Eggplant and Mozzarella.
- Sage Butter Macaroni and Four Cheese
- Pasta with Citrus-Herb Sauce
- Rigatoni with Creamy Eggplant and Mozzarella
In this episode, two delicious ideas for weeknight meals. Sauteed Turkey Cutlets With Avocado Sauce is simple to make, and light and flavorful for everyone in the family to enjoy. On the side is a creamy Lemon Orzo. For a new twist on chicken, try Aida’s quick and easy Honeyed Mango and Chicken Sautee With Toasted Cashews, served with Toasted Sesame Rice.
- Honeyed Mango and Chicken Saute with Toasted Cashews
- Lemon Orzo
- Sauteed Turkey Cutlets with Avocado Sauce
There’s nothing quite like fun and crispy fish and chips, and now you can make them easily at home! Aida makes Fried Fish Bites with Sweet Potato Fries and Spicy Mayo. She’s also has an elegant fish dish that’s perfect for any night of the week: Brown Butter-Sauteed Tilapia With Pistachios.
- Fried Fish Bites with Sweet Potato Fries and Spicy Mayo
- Brown Butter-Sauteed Tilapia with Pistachios
- Simple Side Salad with Lemon-Honey Dressing
Eggs are an inexpensive way to make a great and hearty breakfast, and Aida shows how to prepare them perfectly, every time. Baked Eggs With Canadian Bacon, Spinach, and Aged Cheddar looks decadent, but is simple to prepare. And for a little spice and zip for your morning, Huevos Rancheros With Tomatillo Salsa.
A warm and flaky pie doesn’t have to be daunting. Aida breaks it down, and rolls out her Perfectly Flaky Pie Crust. That’s the base for the flavour-packed Double Banana Cream Pie. Aida shows how to put a little elbow grease to work, and whips up Coffee Whipped Cream, which also serves as an indulgent topping for her Caffe Shakerato.
Grilling is a great way to bring out the flavors of so many ingredients, and Aida shows how to create delicious grilled dishes indoors. Grilled Flank Steak With Ginger Marinade is crispy on the outside, and juicy and flavourful on the inside. Then it’s arguably the best way to eat your veggies — Grilled Peppers and Onions With Limed Sour Cream. To bring this meal together, it’s a sweet and nutty Cherry, Almond and Herb Salad.
- Cherry, Almond, and Herb Salad
- Grilled Flank Steak with Ginger Marinade
- Grilled Onions and Mushrooms with Limed Sour Cream
They’re the perfect pair — meat and potatoes. Aida takes these classic favourites’ and gives it a little kick. She tops perfectly cooked Seared Strip Steaks with North African-Spiced Butter. That’s accompanied by crispy, seasoned Olive Oil Oven Fries. On the side is refreshing Simple Green Bean Salad With Lemon Dressing.
- Seared Strip Steaks with North African-Spiced Butter
- Simple Green Bean Salad with Lemon Dressing
- Olive Oil Oven Fries