Affogato with Chuck’s Coffee Cigars
This classic Italian way of serving coffee and ice cream is made even more decadent with Chuck’s coffee cigars
Easy, Moderate, Complex
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep time: 5 minute
Yield: 4 servings
- For the affogato:
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup of strong espresso (125 ml)
- For the garnish:
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon as a garnish
- For the coffee cigars:
- 1/4 cup butter (60 ml)
- 1/4 cup sugar (60 ml)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (60 ml)
- 2 tablespoons espresso (30 ml)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/3 cup flour (80 ml)
- 2 tablespoons crushed hazelnuts (30 ml)
- Preheat oven at 350 ˚F (180 ˚C).
- For the cigars: in a stockpot, melt the butter with sugar, maple syrup, espresso and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, add the flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly until it thickens slightly with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- Drop a teaspoon size amount of batter on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread thinly with the back of a spoon or a palette knife into a circular sized shape. Sprinkle with hazelnuts. Repeat until all the batter has been used. Bake in the oven for about 8 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Remove and let cool only slightly until you can handle them, about 5 minutes. Carefully roll them into a cigar shape using the handle of a wooden spoon to guide you if necessary. If you see they are hardening too quickly, you can put them back in the oven for a minute or two to re-soften and continue rolling. Set aside.
- For serving: Rim the edges of the espresso cups with lemon juice and then lightly dip the cup in sugar. Add a shot of espresso coffee. Garnish with a scoop of ice cream and lemon zest.
- Serve the coffee cigars on the side