Eggs are an inexpensive way to make a great and hearty breakfast, and Aida shows how to prepare them perfectly, every time. Baked Eggs With Canadian Bacon, Spinach, and Aged Cheddar looks decadent, but is simple to prepare. And for a little spice and zip for your morning, Huevos Rancheros With Tomatillo Salsa.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 1 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ease of Preparation: easy
Total Preparation Time: 1 Minutes
Total Time: 21 minutes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more to butter ramekins
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 4 slices Canadian bacon
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 ounce grated aged Cheddar, plus extra for serving
- Sourdough bread
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F and arrange rack in middle. Butter 4 (6-ounce) ramekins and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. When it foams, add onion, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook until softened, about 1 minute. Add spinach and cook until spinach is well wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Place ham on bottom of ramekins and top with spinach. Crack eggs into ramekins, place 1 tablespoon cream over each egg, and divide half of cheese evenly among ramekins.
- Put ramekins on a baking sheet and bake, rotating pan halfway through baking, until whites are just set but yolks are still runny, about 15 to 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread remaining 2 tablespoons butter on 4 slices sourdough bread. Top with grated cheese and toast until golden brown. Serve eggs with toast.